Saturday, March 2, 2013

So rich and yet so low to be reached

February 28, 2013.

How I wish it would be possible for me to be present in two main events on this date:  our educational field trip in school and the 58th birthday celebration of a schoolmate in high school, Eyie Enriquez Ocbena.  Unfortunately, I could not and I have no choice but to choose the former.  

As I go over the pictures of Eyie's birthday posted in FB ,  I felt I have missed a lot . . . literally. As I have envisioned it to be,  the party seemed to have been  a real fantastic blast.  There had been  so much food and drinks  and most of all,  there had been  circles of friendships.

Honestly, I've known Eyie only in the recent past through the batch parties and reunions.  What's amazing, though  was that after our first personal meeting ( I guess it was during Rosette's birthday last year )  it seemed that we have known so well with each other  before.  And as the days went by, I came to realize why.

Eyie Enriquez Ocbena :   so  rich  and  yet  so  low to be reached

Eyie is one of our batch mates, whom I would say, has been blessed so well materially. Her family got a lucrative  business ( forwarding I think, and I hope I am not mistaken ), a good car(s),  and the most visible of all, a big, big house which we often refer to as their "mansion" in Alta Vista, Antipolo City.  It contains so many rooms of different motifs   from the first level up to the third or fourth  level  ( sorry I failed to count how many floors are there ).  Without exaggeration, you can name the activity you want  and there is a corresponding place for it in the "mansion".

Underneath that gigantic mountain of blessings lies a very humbling spirit.  Despite all those material blessings that our eyes can see, Eyie and her husband Bebot,  stood well and firmly on the ground.  They remained very humble and very supportive to all the batch gatherings, including the not-so-pleasant activities like attending funerals or visiting sick former classmates and batch mates at home or in the hospital.  As long as their schedule allows it, they respond to all kinds of invitations.  I guess, and I believe, that made them very exemplary and special  to everyone.   

On so  many occasions, Eyie has opened  her doors  to the VMHS Batch '72.  Their mansion is the silent witness in several batch gatherings already.  In spite of their hectic schedule in business,  Eyie and her family would grace the event ( any event for that matter ) with pleasure.  I have seen and have experienced personally how she and her family entertained the guests no matter how busy they were in their respective businesses.  You can really feel the warmth and the hospitality in the mansion, no matter who you are.  They have shared.  They have loved.  They  have  lived   a  lifestyle  worth  emulating.

Eyie, you are truly a blessing and I thank the Lord for bringing you into my/our life/lives.  You've been an inspiration to me and I am sure, to so many others, too,  in our batch.   It will be my fervent prayer that our dear God will give you many, many more  happy and prosperous years  ahead so that you may continue to be a channel of blessing and an inspiration to others.

Eyie with former former classmates/schoolmates and friends

Belated happy birthday  EYIE!   I  am sure sorry that this wish is late  but even though it missed the date, it's just as warm and just as true as if it had come on time to you !



No comments:

Post a Comment